Sunday, February 28, 2016

LA Marathon Recap

It's been two weeks since I ran my first marathon and honestly, I've been avoiding this recap.  My experience wasn't what I wanted and I was extremely disappointed in myself.  I had to remove myself from the experience for a while before looking back.  

I went into the race with one goal-- to finish.  It was my first marathon and I truly did not know what to expect.  I had an unspoken time goal, but realized about 10 miles in, that wasn't going to happen.  First, what went wrong. 

Injury:  I have tendinitis in my foot and occasionally it flares up.  My foot decided during a run would be a good time for that to happen.  I was in excruciating pain and a few times, contemplated stopping.  But I trudged on.  At one point, I feel like I was trotting-- half running, half walking.  I did everything I could to find the most comfortable form of movement for my foot.  During the run, I was blaming myself for the pain.  I should have trained better, I should have worn different shoes and every other thing I could find to blame, I did.  

Bloody Nose: Who gets a bloody nose during a race? This girl!  I have no idea where it came from.  Around mile 19, I thought my nose was dripping.  Turns out it was, but it wasn't just snot. (TMI, I know, but it is what it is)  So I had to deal with that.  Fortunately, it didn't take that long to take care of it, but I did spend the rest of the race worrying that it would happen again before I finished.

Me: I became my own worst enemy during the race.  I was disappointed and I let it get in my head.  It slowed my down.  I let me beat me.  There were times when I was running and crying at the same time.  As one spectator asked me if I was okay, I simply replied, "I'm a hot mess, but I need to finish."  

And now, what went right.

The Course:  It was a fun course.  I loved exploring LA and seeing all the sights.  I stopped a few times for pictures. I will be returning in 2017.  




The People:  The crowd support and other runners were awesome.  From the We Run Social Crew holding it up at mile 18 to seeing my friend Stephanie at mile 22, a runner definitely feels the love.  I had other runners stop to make sure I was okay and the spectators provided the encouragement I needed.  The texts of support and love during the race were amazing. At mile 20, I sent a selfie to my cousin with a few choice words.  His response was exactly what I needed to keep going.  If it weren't for the people, I truly believe I would not have finished.

My mile 20 selfie.

Stephanie!

I Finished:  My time wasn't what I wanted.  There was blood, sweat and tears.  I struggled more than I ever have during a race.  But I finished.  I am a marathoner. 



I am beyond grateful for everyone who supported me during my marathon journey.  Going into it, I didn't know if I would be a "one and done" marathon runner or if I would want to do it again.  Turns out, as much as I hated the experience, I also loved it.  I'll be running my second marathon in June.  

Until next time, happy running!
Jenn13.1

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Balance More

It is sometimes said that “less is more,” so when NewBalance  released their new shoe, More, I was intrigued to find out if sometimes “more...