Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Run Streak: One Year

Last year my friend Jen hosted a Running Streak for the month of June—we were to run a mile everyday and at the end of the month everyone who had completed the month would be entered into a drawing for awesome prizes.  I love prizes and had several other friends signing up, so I thought, “Why not?”  Although it officially started on June 1st, I ran on May 31st-- so began my Run Streak with #StreakingWithTheCoolKids.



When I started the streak, I didn’t know if I’d make it through the entire month.  But after the first week, then the next, I though maybe I really can do this.  And sure enough, I made it through June running at least one mile everyday.  And once the month was over, I didn't want to stop.  So I kept running.  My new goal became 50 days and then 100 days.  Once I reached 100, I knew I had a decision to make.  So I kept running.



If you follow my adventures on Instagram, you know what happened next.  I have officially been streaking for one year and seven days.  From May 31, 2016 to May 31, 2017 I ran 1,877 miles. During my streak, I’ve been asked a lot of questions.  Here are some of the more common ones.

Why?
When people ask me why, my short answer is “why not?” My long answer is a little more complicated.  I love how the streak has challenged me and how it pushes me to keep doing more.  I love proving to myself that I can. Is a run streak for everyone? No, but right now it’s right for me.

 Do you always feel like running?
There are days when the answer to this is a big NO.  But my desire to keep my run streak going out weighs my desire not to run.  On those days I don’t want to run, I keep the distance to a minimum.  Some days my legs are tired, some days I’m just tired and some days I’m just busy.  But I can always find ten minutes to get a mile in.  




 What’s the threshold for your streak?
I run a minimum of a mile a day and it must be a solid mile before I start on my intervals/hiking.  There times when this fluctuates a little-- I run a lot of trails and there are a few trails where the first mile is a steep, rocky climb so on those runs, my solid mile might come in the middle of the run. 



What do you like least about the run streak?
The laundry! When you're running seven days a week, no matter how many running clothes you have, there always seems to be laundry to be done.  There are some days I run twice so that means even more laundry. 




What do you like most about the run streak?
Hands down, the support and encouragement I get from my friends, family and social media.  From running miles with me, to texts of encouragement and overall support, the people in my life rock.  


What's next?
I'm going to keep running.  Jen is hosting the #StreakingWithTheCoolKids streak again so I'm in for at least the month of June.  My next goal is 500 days, but I honestly can't foresee stopping any time soon. I'm going to run as long as I can.  



Have you every done a run streak?  How long did you run for?


Until next time, happy running.
Jenn13.1  

1 comment:

  1. Laundry!!! You said a mouth full there! �� happy running ❤️

    ReplyDelete

New Balance More

It is sometimes said that “less is more,” so when NewBalance  released their new shoe, More, I was intrigued to find out if sometimes “more...