Sunday, December 3, 2017

Ray Miller 50K Recap



Late last year, I decided I wanted to try running an ultra race.  I ran a marathon in February 2016 and frankly, I didn’t enjoy the experience.  Once I started trail running, the idea of running a 50K (or longer distance) was much more appealing.  My original plan was to run Leona Divide in April but life happened and I had to postpone my first 50K, so I signed up for the Ray Miller 50K.

In October, I had a last minute opportunity to run the Lake Hodges 50K and I am so glad that I did.  During that race, I was able to learn some opportunities that I have with hydration and find out how my body would handle the 50K distance.  During that race, I also made plans with Jenn and Vanessa for Ray Miller.  They were both also signed up for it, along with Alexis, so we decided to carpool and room together.

Traffic Views
The race was on a Saturday (I love Saturday races!) so we headed up to Malibu on Friday afternoon.  The traffic wasn’t great but it wasn’t awful either.  (You never know what you’re going to get with traffic in the Los Angeles area)  The company was great and the views were amazing so the trip went by rather quickly.  After checking into the hotel and getting dinner, it was back to the hotel to get some sleep for the early wake up on Saturday morning. 

#FlatJenn and all her essentials

The Ray Miller 50/50/30 offered a 50 mile race, a 50K race and a 30K race.  We were all running the 50K which started at 6:30am.  We arrived around 5:30am to check-in, get our bibs and do all the last minute race stuff. 

Let's Do This!
Starting at the Ray Miller trailhead in Point Mugu State Park, the 50K promised a lot of hills with amazing views.  It did not disappoint.  I stayed with Jenn, Vanessa and Alexis for about the first ten miles of the race as we sang and entertained our way through the course.  At one point, I heard someone refer to us as “Team Rocket” because of our Orange Mud hydration packs.  As much as I was having with them, I knew eventually I would fall behind and start running my own race.  During the Lake Hodges race, I dealt with some bad leg cramping issues so I was focused on upping my hydration and listening to my body.  This course was also a lot more technical and challenging than any trail I’ve run before—I knew that listening to my body would become the most important thing.  

Elevation! (They call it "Hell Hill" for a reason!)



When I run longer distances, I try not to think about how many miles I have left.  Instead I try to think about how much longer to the next aide station.  This is the second Keira Henninger race that I’ve run and she runs a very organized, put together event.  Every aide station was fully stocked and the volunteers were amazing!  The course is very well marked, with either signs or ribbons leading the way.  I never once felt like I might be going the wrong way.

The pink ribbon meant I was going the right way
This course is one of the prettiest I have run—with views of the ocean or mountains, no matter where you looked, you were surrounded by beauty.  It was also challenging, with a lot of single track and brush to deal with.  The elevation was no joke and my legs are definitely feeling it the next day.   Although I did have some leg cramps, they were easily walked off and I know as I continue to run the longer distances, I can try to figure out what is causing that.  My overall time was not what I had hoped for, but I am happy with my race.  I felt strong; stronger than I did at the 50K I ran in October.  Looking back, there were parts that I hiked that I probably could have run but I know at the time, I gave it everything I had in me in the moment.  I listened to my body, I stopped to enjoy the views, made friends along the way, cursed my way up “Hell Hill,” and ran the race I had in me. 

In awe. So pretty!
 At the end of it, the Ray Miller 50K is one of those races that I said, “I liked that race.  I want to do it again.” Overall, I’d call that a win.  Sometimes the race is more than the time on your race—this was one of those races for me and I loved every second of it.

Running with friends is better!
 What has been one of your best races, regardless of time?
 
Until next time, happy running.
Jenn13.1

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Balance More

It is sometimes said that “less is more,” so when NewBalance  released their new shoe, More, I was intrigued to find out if sometimes “more...