Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Benefits of Group Runs

I’m a solo runner—there is just something about the solitude of me versus the trail or road that brings a sense of cleansing to my soul.  But I started to notice recently that I’ve been gravitating to more group runs lately and I’ve been loving them!  If you’ve ever thought about going to a group run, here are some of the things I’ve been loving about them:

Accountability
It’s easy to say you’re going to run four miles after work on a Monday and it’s even easier to talk yourself into running only one when your run time come (or not run at all.)  But when you commit to a group run, you’re more likely to show up. 


Goal Crushers
What’s more motivating than crushing your own goals? Seeing other people work on and crush their goals.  When you go to group runs, you start to know the other runners and their goals, whether it’s training for their next big race or just working on being healthier.  And it’s awesome to see someone cut some time off their mile or run up a hill they couldn’t before.  Not only do I love being a part of their journey, it also gets me excited about my new goals.  


Support System
The runners you meet at group runs often become friends and because you share running in common, they get it.  When you see them at races, they get the pre-race jitters or offer words of congratulations after a hard race finish.  These runners also because a great source of advice and encouragement for whatever it is you might be training for.  


Become a Better Runner
One of the things I love best about group runs is the push it gives me to become a stronger and better runner.  I often find a runner with a stronger pace than mine and try to keep up with them.  I might not be able to stick with them the entire run, but I enjoy the challenge it brings as I try.  


If you’re a San Diego runner, here are some group runs that happen weekly:

Monday : Movin Shoes in Pacific Beach 6:00pm
Monday: San Diego Trail Runners at Mission Trails 6:00pm
Tuesday: Interval Training with Movin Shoes Mission Bay Runner’s Bathroom 6:00pm
Wednesday: Hump Day Run Club at Milestone Running 6:00pm
Friday: #RUN619 with Movin Shoes at Heartwork Coffee Bar 6:19am
Saturday: Lake Hodges with Ultra Buds at 6:30am

There’s a part of me that will always be a solo runner, but I am embracing the balance I’m finding between my solo runs and group runs.  Do you prefer to run solo or in a group?

Until next time, happy running.
Jenn13.1

1 comment:

New Balance More

It is sometimes said that “less is more,” so when NewBalance  released their new shoe, More, I was intrigued to find out if sometimes “more...